Saturday 25 June 2011

Harris to raise need for Fire Service Reform with Environment Minister

Wicklow TD, Simon Harris, is to raise the need for reform of the fire service with the Minister for the Environment, Mr Phil Hogan TD. Currently issues regarding the Wicklow Fire Service in past times are proceeding before the courts.

Speaking on the need for reform, Deputy Harris said, “I have today lodged a number of Parliamentary Questions to the Minister of the Environment regarding the need for a National Fire Authority and I have also asked for his view on the process of call vetting.”

“I have stressed to the Minister the importance of ensuring uniformity of procedure when it comes to fire services throughout the country. I know that this is an issue my party has pursued vigorously in the past and I believe such a reform would create the potential for significant efficiencies and improvements to the current service.”

“While the court service is now destined to look into issues of the past, in my role as a new TD for Wicklow I am determined that moving forward every possible action is taken to ensure the best possible fire service and the best possible supports for our hard working fire-fighters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment